Edgard Aubry large stoneware pot.
H 50 cm Ø top edge 14 cm
Edgard Aubry is the son of Joseph Aubry and was born in 1880 and died in 1943. He began his training in paternal pottery and became a potter at Gilles in Châtelet in 1903. In 1908 he started his own workshop and made salt-glazed stoneware in high fire , sometimes engraved and with relief ornamentation. Between 1916 and 1937 he took part in several international exhibitions, such as in 1925 at the “Exposition Internationale des Arts Décoratifs en Industriels Modernes” in Paris and in 1928 in Glasgow.
Presented is a large handmade ovoid expanding ceramic pot with sharply constricted shoulders and small cylindrical neck. The neck then widened to a round thick-walled rounded edge. The bottom of the vase serves as a base. This pot is made of salt-glazed stoneware (grès) covered with a thick light brown cream-colored slip layer (decor flammé) over which a dark brown lead glaze has been applied over the rim, neck and shoulders, which is applied in vertical stripes down from the top to the foot edge. The round bottom is unglazed and shows the engraved handwritten signature and creux “EAubry” indicating that it was made pre-1929. The pot has an impressive organic appearance.