Regency Canterburry rack
H cm L cm D cm
The Antique Canterbury was first introduced in the late 18th century Georgian period ca. 1780 and got its name from the first commission by the Archbishop of Canterbury. The Canterbury was popular in the 19th century in both the Victorian and later Edwardian periods in Britain as an occasional piece of furniture that can be scattered around the living room. The Antique Canterbury is a small and highly decorative divisional booth originally used for sheet music. They will often have twisted tops above a nicely designed frame with fine inlay decoration. They are divided into compartments, perfect for magazines, books and newspapers, with upright support. The base has a slim drawer with small brass handles. The whole piece stands on finely turned legs ending in brass cap with metal wheels so they can be easily moved around the room.
On display is an antique rectangular Regency boat-shaped canterburry in mahogany with gripping element so that it can be lifted. It is divided by pillars into four compartments and has a drawer with brass pullers at the bottom, with dove tails connections. The four side corners and four legs are elegantly turned. Copper extensions at the bottom of the legs with four functioning wheels.