Etling France, opalescent rose coupe on pedestal in Macassar, ca. 1930
Ø 30 cm H 15 cm
Edmond Laurent Etling was a retailer of exclusive high quality decorative items in bronze, ceramics and glass through his Parisian store at 29 Rue de Paradis. His company, La Societe Anonyme Edmond Etling, founded in 1909 in Paris, commissioned famous sculptors and artists such as Chiparus, Godard, Colinet, Sevin and others to design items for the shop, which were then manufactured by Etling, who bore name. The glass objects were made in Paris in glassworks in the Choisy-le-Roi district. As a result of World War II, the shop was closed in 1940 and, being of Jewish descent, Edmond Etling was sent to a concentration camp and died. Production for Etling was therefore limited to the Art Deco period between the two world wars. Etling is best known for their light blue opalescent items, the most common of which are plates and bowls, but they also produced items in gray and frosted glass. Most had a die-cast signature “ETLING FRANCE” followed by a model number. In the 1970s, Sèvres began to reproduce some Etling designs, especially the nude female figurines.
Shown is a large deep round opalescent coupe. It is smooth on the inside with several rose flowers and flower buds blown into the mold on the outside. The bowl is attached to a silver-plated metal round structure including a Makassar wooden base consisting of three ball feet and an octagonal flat raised base. On the outside this bowl is signed in the mold with “ETLING FRANCE” and the model number 210. The bowl dates from around 1930.
Condition: superficial scratches on the inside, otherwise perfect.
|Dimensions||30 × 15 cm|