Faience Baroque figure of Pfeiffer Bayreuth
H 31 cm W 12.5 cm base: L 10 cm
In 1719, a faience factory was established in St. George See near Bayreuth with the help of a Meissen worker Samuel Kempe. Perhaps stoneware was also produced, as well as hard porcelain from 1750. Apart from this factory, there was another one in Bayreuth itself mentioned from 1837.
The object presented is a young man who is half-naked, wearing only an embossed green flower-studded band from shoulder to loin, a basket on his head with both arms outstretched. The tin glaze is beautifully white, greasy and shiny. The underglaze high fire colors are manganese brown, an olive green, yellow and black. The head is turned to the left and has black accented eyebrows, eyes and mouth. The wide flat basket on the head is covered with roses on the rim. The boy stands on a rectangular, raised olive green rocky base in relief. The base ring is unglazed, the base at the bottom is and is signed in underglaze manganese with the capital letters “B: P”, this for the Pfeiffer period (1760-67?).
Although made in the full rococo period, the statue still has many baroque features, which is characteristic of the Bayreuth factory. The statue is suitable as a candle holder.
Condition: lower legs restored (not visible!), Otherwise very good status.