Delft De Lampetkan duo of strawberry dishes on a plateau
Strawberry dish: L 30 cm W 22 cm H 6 cm plateau: L 26 cm W 21.5 cm H 2 cm
Delft blue is a type of faience (earthenware) with blue decoration, which is traditionally made in Delft. It was created at the end of the 16th century as a cheap alternative to blue and white Chinese porcelain. Delftware quickly became very popular and flourished in the period 1650-1750, when there were about a hundred pottery factories active in Delft. De Lampetkan was founded in 1609. In 1755 Gerrit Brouwer became owner of the company. The factory was destroyed during the French occupation of 1800-1813. Presented is an exceptional duo of an oval strawberry dish on an oval flat plateau with raised edges. They were made in Delft, Holland, in the full rococo period by the manufacturer “De Lampetkan”. The strawberry dish is frequently perforated on its base and on a milky-white tin glaze, some branches with leaves are hand-painted in blue underglaze. The flat turns steeply into a wide expanding edge with a wavy serrated edge. On the edge we see various motifs in relief such as the shell and on both sides an anjouled handle with arabesques. Under the handle we see an asymmetrical decor of C-curls, flowers, branches and foliage with a honeycomb pattern as well as point decoration. At the height of both side walls there is a cartouche that is outlined by C-curls. At the top we see a shell in relief with dark cobalt lines. In the center we see a water landscape with a seated fisherman holding his fishing rod in both hands, with the fishing line and weight hanging vertically down with a needle. On the other side we see the same cartouche with identical fisherman decor. The underside is also fully glazed with cobalt blue geometric motifs all around the collar. We also see three remnants of must. In the center we see the mark in underglaze blue consisting of the letters “L P K”, this for Lampetkan. On the base we see three high conical feet. The oval flat plateau without a base ring shows a body of water in the plane on a clear white covering, with a large pine tree standing in the ground in front, and on the other side of the water a church and accompanying building. At the edge there is a row of trees with reflection in the water. The flat changes into a less high flat edge that is also wavy and jagged at its edge. Both sides are hand-painted in cobalt underglaze with a decoration of embossed shells and C-curls, in which a honeycomb and dotted pattern. The longer edge is decorated on both sides with the same fisherman motif as on the strawberry dish. The flat base and underside of the collar are glazed, show remnants of three musts and are marked in cobalt blue in the center with the letters “L P K”, standing for Lampetkan. On the underside we see an old sticker with “anc. maison, J. ANTHONISSEN succ J. ZEBERG Anvers ”. The mark “L P K” was used before Gerrit Brouwer became the owner of the factory in 1755. We estimate the date of execution to be around 1750.
Condition: almost perfect, some minor chips.